commons-user mailing list archives

From "Frank Herrfurt" <>
Subject [httpclient] setting the log level doesn't work in some situations
Date Mon, 24 May 2004 10:09:36 GMT
Hi all,

we have a problem with using the httpclient package, which is using the
logging package.

We have a portal server where we use a portlet and utilize the commons
httpclient for retrieving content from other servers for display within the

It seems, that the logging level of the httpclient is set to warning by
default, but in our production system we want to set a lower level (error).

Within a pure java program the setting of the loglevel works fine, e.g.:
("org.apache.commons.logging.simplelog.log.httpclient.wire", "error");

Within the portlet these setting doesn't work, so we have no possibility to
set any other loglevel at all, but which is pretty important.
There are cases, where we want be dynamic on setting the log level via the
code by passing parameters.
Also setting the properties as JVM arguments doesn't work neither for the
whole system.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help in advance

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best Regards
Frank Herrfurt

Consultant, Diplom-Betriebswirt (BA), Schwerpunkt WI
Bundeswehr IT-Amt VDV C1 (Strausberg)
Tel: intern: 8221 2072, extern: 03341/58-2072
Mobil: 0171/8627697
E-Mail: (Frank
View raw message