commons-user mailing list archives

From "Geeta Ramani" <gram...@terralink.com>
Subject RE: DBCP POOL -Connection Pool giving nullpointer -->Unable to intialize -->Crashing
Date Wed, 05 May 2004 12:51:07 GMT
Raj:

A *lot* of connection pool problems arise due to not returning connections to the pool properly
(ie. in a finally block). I know you say that the code has not changed and therefore this
cannot be the case, but carry out this experiment: Get the application working on a test machine
- or your local machine - and and *set the pool size to 1*. Then test your application by
clicking on various links and submit buttons and what not. You may very well come across a
submit for which you wait indefintely. Look at the corresponding code - chances are either
a statement is not closed, a result set is not closed, or (most likely) a connection is not
closed in a **finally** block. In fact that may very well explain why you are having this
problem all of a sudden: you may not have changed your code, but the data in the database
may have changed - resulting in a query which does not succeed. So if your code closed the
connection within the try block rather than in a finally block, then that connection may never
be getting released. So when all the connections are "used up", you may well be having to
wait indefintely.. Well, worth a shot anyways..:)

Regards,
Geeta