commons-user mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [Betwixt] Refactoring Branch Status
Date Wed, 19 May 2004 21:38:20 GMT
On 19 May 2004, at 22:25, Sebastian wrote:

> Hi,

hi Sebastian

> I just wanted to know what the status of the betwixt refactoring
> branch is. It looks like a lot of changes were applied to the "old"
> branch. Did the development efforts stop there? I hope not as I need
> to use the new SimpleTypeMapper.

it's good news, bad news...

there's been a lot of changes to betwixt recently to both branches.
this just indicates that the refactoring branch is reaching maturity
and is nearly ready to be merged in. a good test for the new read code
for provided by adding support for array map values. this is the kind
of thing that couldn't be written using the older code. the new stuff
handled it pretty well so it's probably just about ready.

what's really needed is to go through the additional methods with a
fine toothcomb and weed out any which are not needed or wrong. this
should ensure the best chance of future compatibility.

but now for the bad news. there are reasons why the situation with a
number of other components has unexpected become critical. there are a
lot of big projects depending on solutions being found quickly. so,
i've had to put betwixt on a backburner whilst i work the teams on
these other components.

if you want/need the refactoring branch to be merged into CVS HEAD
sooner (rather than later) then there are a number of jobs that people
could help with, if you (or anyone else) is willing step up and
volunteer.

- robert