commons-user mailing list archives

From "Gemp, Robert S." <robert.g...@ngc.com>
Subject [beanutils] populate method parameter format is invalid in browse r
Date Wed, 26 May 2004 23:52:12 GMT
The BeanUtils.populate method is a powerful and elegant means to load beans from an HTTP request.
My concern is that the format it supports for complex parameter names, for example:

   name1.name2[index].name3(key)

ends up creating malformed javascript variable names in the browser.

Even if today's browsers don't complain, new versions (more rigorous) might complain.  Further,
client side validation no longer works because javascript expressions such as

   "if (myForm.myVar.value==...)"   -or-
   "myForm.myVar.focus()"

are invalid when the form variable name contains unsupported characters like "name1.name[2]".

I would appreciate comments from users having experience with the populate method. Am I misunderstanding
the javascript issue?  Are there workarounds?

Thanks,
Robert Gemp