commons-user mailing list archives

From gary and sarah <gary.and.sa...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject [digester] comment on documentation re debug and loggers
Date Sun, 09 May 2004 13:22:18 GMT
I am not sure if this is the right place to  send this but here goes

I am using the commons digester component and was having some debugging
difficulties [see my last message ;-)] and the docs do not seem to be
very clear on how to debug things

1. the docs point to out of date articles which use the debug statement
2. The debug statement is deprecated and the methods setDebug has the
following implementation:

    public void setDebug(int debug) {

        ; // No action is taken

    }

however, the documentation although noting a deprecation doesn't mention
that this is now a null method!

3. in the documentation you are pointed towards the commons-logging
documentation, but there doesn't seem to be a simple recipe as to how to
set some simple logging up. Maybe somewhere in the docs a para stating
that to setup a simple debugging session you want the following code
would be a good idea?

digester.setLogger(new SimpleLog(""));
((SimpleLog) digester.getLogger()).setLevel(SimpleLog.LOG_LEVEL_ALL);

This would certainly help a lot of new starters and save putting off
some people who find the commons-logging documentation a bit
impenetrable. [I guess it is also a comment that the commons-logging
documentation is not an easy place to start].

regards gary