commons-user mailing list archives

From Geoffrey Arnold <geoff...@geoffreyarnold.com>
Subject Re: [Jelly] Tag attributes corresponding to arrays
Date Thu, 06 May 2004 17:35:44 GMT
Hi Robert.

> i think that you might be able to achieve the same result by
> registering a custom convertor. this is currently a little icky to do
> but it would probably be possible to add some (probably core) tags
> that  would allow the conversions to be customized. i'm not sure
> whether  that'd be a good idea or not.

Unfortunately, I think that this behavior is hardcoded in
BeanUtils.setProperty() method at lines 979-981 (of release 1.6.1).
Basically the code stuffs the value into a single element array _before_
calling the CovertUtils.convert() method.

> in some ways, using the specialized http copy makes some sense
> because  jelly's stringy like html but the implementation is less
> sophisticated.  would altering one to the other cause loads of stuff
> to break?

I don't follow the first comment.

As for breaking existing code, I was afraid of this also, but after
skimming through the code (and running the unit tests :) ), it appears
that the changes do not adversely affect any of the Jelly codebase.  I
believe that these changes would only affect existing users who have
modified their "setTheArray(String[])" methods to parse the first
element of the array to convert it to the proper array (which would be
counter-intuitive).

Geoff.