commons-user mailing list archives

From raj <rajsh...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: DBCP POOL -Standard Pool Parameters for users around 500
Date Tue, 11 May 2004 22:29:39 GMT
Hi Daniele,
Thanks for the prompt reply. I recently changed the
number from 50 to 400. Our server was unable to get
any connections during peak time and was getting null
pointer exception in initializing the connection code.
We were in the assumption that due to unable to get
the connection and the thread returned null value
instead a proper exception like exhausted.

Once I changed the number to 400 and also add some
other parameter the problem gone but still some times
we see some issues.
We are just shooting in the dark.
Could you please provide more information and help.

BTW> --How do I check DB Load on database side. I
tried to look for v$session table but there are always
only 4 connections(dedicated) to oracle from the thin
client. IS there any way I can get some more
information DB side about all the connections.

I appreciate your help.
Thanks..Regards..RAJ

---  <daniele.rizzi@essellesse.net> wrote:
> Well, I may suggest:
> - make sure that you are working with a 8.1.7.4
> Oracle Server (that is the
> final release);
> - cut down the maxActive to 100 (or 50 as you
> consider apt): this is
> due to behaviour of a pooled resource: if there is a
> peak of requests
> the pool will reply opening a huge number of
> connection on the
> db server, and closing them after a long time: of
> course
> this will cause the db server ram to thrash.
> - for the same reason move to WHEN_EXHAUSTED_BLOCK,
> so some users
> will wait for peak to move along.
> - and finally, test everything under stress.
>
> Hope may help
> daniele rizzi
>

> Scrive raj <rajshiri@yahoo.com>:
>
> > Hello Dirk and Other Experts,
> >
> > I need help in indentifying stand DBCP POOl
> parameters
> > for approxly 200 users(using DB transaction via
> > connaction pooling ) and other 200 other means of
> DB
> > trasactions .
> > We are using JRUN 3x, Iplanet 4.1 servicepack 5,
> > Oracle 8.1.7. and
> > commons-pool-1.1.jar and commons-dbcp-1.1.jar.
> >
> > The current parameter are ..
> >
> > connectionPool.setTestOnBorrow(true);
> > connectionPool.setTestOnReturn(true);
> > connectionPool.setMaxActive(400);
> > connectionPool.setMaxIdle(40);
> > connectionPool.setMinIdle(20);

connectionPool.setWhenExhaustedAction(connectionPool.WHEN_EXHAUSTED_GROW);
> > connectionPool.setNumTestsPerEvictionRun(20);

connectionPool.setMinEvictableIdleTimeMillis(600000);

connectionPool.setTimeBetweenEvictionRunsMillis(10000);