commons-user mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <>
Subject Re: Unexpected response
Date Thu, 20 May 2004 22:04:29 GMT

If you get this message, HttpClient DOES get an 100 response it is not
supposed to. There's one known exception to this rule: HttpClient _may_
print a bogus warning when executing POST methods over secure (HTTPS)
connection due to bug in older versions of JSSE (pre Java 1.4)

(1) What version of HttpClient are you using?
(2) What JRE version are you using?
(3) Are you using plain HTTP or HTTPS?
(4) Do you activate 100-continue handshake on the client side?
(5) What is the target server your application communicates with? Can it
be Jetty by any chance?

The only sure way to get rid of the warning message is to set logging
priority to ERROR. Another possibility is to try activating 100-continue
handshake, which is disabled per default. Some servers (Jetty, for
instance) are known to be sending 100 response even if they are not
asked to do so by the client