commons-user mailing list archives

From "Stephen Colebourne" <scolebou...@btopenworld.com>
Subject [collections] To all collections users, version 3.1 compatibility
Date Thu, 06 May 2004 22:47:49 GMT
Collections 3.1 is currently under development. At present there are two
binary incompatible changes proposed relative to 3.0. This mail is to
advertise these changes and give people a chance to complain ;-)

1) ReferenceMap (map package) now extends AbstractReferenceMap and
AbstractHashedMap whereas previously it extended AbstractMap. This was done
to gain lots of new functionality.

This is binary incompatible if you previously cast a ReferenceMap to an
AbstractMap. I can think of no good reason why you would have made this
cast, but does anyone out there have an objection?

2) FixedSizeSortedMap now extends FixedSizeMap whereas previously it
extended AbstractSortedMapDecorator. This was done to share more code.

This is binary incompatible if you previously cast a FixedSizeSortedMap to
an AbstractSortedMapDecorator. I can think of no good reason why you would
have made this cast, but does anyone out there have an objection?

Stephen