commons-user mailing list archives

From "Dominique Devienne" <ddevie...@lgc.com>
Subject [JXPath] Outline of creating a custom impl
Date Wed, 21 Apr 2004 16:00:39 GMT
I've used JXPath in the past to traverse XML documents, and I like it.
Flexible and powerful.

Recently though I've stumbled into a problem with Ant build files. Using the
new Ant 1.6 <import>, which I use liberally, the build is seldom anymore
contained within a single XML document I could simply wrap in a
DocumentContainer. So I'm thinking I could lay a custom JXPathContext
implementation on top of the Ant model (Project / Targets / Tasks /
RuntimeConfigurable) to be able to traverse that module *after* Ant has
resolved all the imports, renames overriden targets, etc...

Ant has a full in-memory model of the build files (which is a slight
approximation of the actual XML nodes, but that's OK for me), so it seems
reasonable to allow traversal of it using JXPath.

Could someone outline the steps necessary to code such a custom pseudo-DOM
tree traversal? The JXPath doc is very brief on what is really needed to do
something like that. Thanks, --DD