commons-user mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: [io] have I found a bug? should I tell to anyone?
Date Tue, 20 Apr 2004 22:58:39 GMT

You can also just describe it to the mail list first to see if people
argue about it being a feature/bug etc.

There's a certain level of confidence/embaressment with going public and
being wrong, but provided it's not something someone does a lot I think
it's a fine thing to do.

The perfect situation in my view is best seen on IRC, but can work on mail
lists too:

Jorg pipes up and says he's seen what he thinks is a bug. Stephen listens,
asks a question and Jorg provides an answer. Stephen agrees it's a bug and
either asks Jorg to report it in the tracker, or Jorg volunteers.

It's possible that Stephen may just say he'll fix it there and then, or
take a private patch, though this leads to a poorer audit trail. Still,
bug-fixing is the primary game here, not providing audit trails.

Hen