commons-user mailing list archives

From Guy Katz <gk...@allot.com>
Subject RE: commons-logging in J2EE environment
Date Thu, 15 Apr 2004 09:29:16 GMT
hi and thanks for the reply.
actually, i think there is a difference between using a package such as
commons-logging and the specific log system API.
for example, with log4j i can use the DOMConfigurator to explicitly load (in
code) a configuration file of my own. in the common-logging package this API
is hidden from the user so the flexibility is more limited.
JBoss app server seems to use the commons-logging package also. which is
nice but than, like i said, every file i configure (or use a default file)
will be shared by my app and the JBoss.
i cant see any workaround here so i will have to settle for sharing
configuration.
thanks.

-----Original Message-----
From: robert burrell donkin [mailto:robertburrelldonkin@blueyonder.co.uk]
Sent: Wednesday, April 14, 2004 11:25 PM
To: Jakarta Commons Users List
Subject: Re: commons-logging in J2EE environment

hi guy

commons-logging doesn't really configure the logging system (log4j in
this case), the commons-logging configuration just chooses the logging
system to be used. therefore, i think that the log4j configuration
should be transparent (in other words, the same whether you call log4j
directly or through commons-logging).

i hope that this answers your question.

- robert