commons-user mailing list archives

From mmostt...@yci.com
Subject RE: commons-logging in J2EE environment
Date Thu, 15 Apr 2004 14:47:49 GMT
Websphere Application Server also utilizes the Commons-Logging within its
logging system.  Due to this we had to change the way we were configuring
what the Log Factory was since we did not want to our custom configurations
to be used by WAS.  The solution we used was to take advantage of the
service discovery mechanism in commons-logging.  We added the services file
in the META-INF of our EAR and WAR's to configure our application to use our
custom log factory which then continued on to configure our logging
utilizing the commons-logging.properties file.

You could try using the Service Discovery and then in the custom Log Factory
use the DOMConfigurator to explicitly load (in
code) a configuration file of your own.

marcus

-----Original Message-----
From: Guy Katz [mailto:gkatz@allot.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 15, 2004 2:29 AM
To: 'Jakarta Commons Users List'
Subject: RE: commons-logging in J2EE environment

hi and thanks for the reply.
actually, i think there is a difference between using a package such as
commons-logging and the specific log system API. for example, with log4j i
can use the DOMConfigurator to explicitly load (in
code) a configuration file of my own. in the common-logging package this API
is hidden from the user so the flexibility is more limited. JBoss app server
seems to use the commons-logging package also. which is nice but than, like
i said, every file i configure (or use a default file) will be shared by my
app and the JBoss. i cant see any workaround here so i will have to settle
for sharing configuration. thanks.