commons-user mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: Digester and attribute matching?
Date Sun, 11 Apr 2004 18:09:39 GMT
i've had a longer think about this, and i'm not really sure anymore
that there's any XPath engines that this would work for. the other
issue is that some XPath expressions really require the whole of the
document to work with. (but scott would probably know better than me if
this is feasible so if he's lurking, i'd be interested to hear his
opinions.)

in terms of adding support for attribute matching, i'm a little
reluctant to consider modifying the matching string syntax but i
suppose that we could add a wrapper rule (even though it's not a very
elegant solution).

the current design for Rules makes it easy to create new rules
implementations but is limited by the amount of information available
to the implementation. the string syntax passed into the call is the
limiting factor.

this has set me wondering whether something like XSLT would be a cool
to map XML to objects. rather than templates, rules would be applied to
the products of XPath expressions. xml rules could probably be mined
but still would be a lot of work.

- robert

>>> digester.addCallMethod("foo[@bar=\"blah"\]", "foo"); ?