commons-user mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [Digester] Preserve line breaks.
Date Sun, 11 Apr 2004 10:52:33 GMT
hi alan

my reading of the xml specification leads me to think that the expected
behaviour for the parser is to normalize the attribute value before
passing it to digester. the rules for this normalization depend (to
some extent) on the DTD (if your document has one) but i would expect
newlines to be replaced by simple spaces. for more information see
http://www.w3.org/XML/ and http://www.xml.com/axml/testaxml.htm.

you may be able to persuade the parser to retain the whitespace by
using entities (or some other xml magic involving DTDs) but you may be
better advised to consider using element body text.

- robert