commons-user mailing list archives

From "matthew.hawthorne" <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [logging] How can I set the log level on Jdk14Logger
Date Tue, 27 Apr 2004 19:48:14 GMT
Alex Karasulu wrote:
> I would like to turn on "debug" level logging but I can't seem to figure
> out how to do this in commons-logging without just accessing the
> JDK1.4 logging mechanism which I don't want to do since this would
> defeat the purpose for using commons-logging in the first place.

That's exactly how you do it, and in my opinion, it doesn't defeat the
purpose.  commons-logging leaves the configuration of the underlying
logging implementation to the user.

Upon examining the different configuration methods of both log4j and
java.util.logging, I think this was a good choice.

You can also set the system property (I believe it's
org.apache.commons.logging.log) so that you get a SimpleLog instance no
matter what your environment looks like.  The details are in the
documentation.