commons-user mailing list archives

From "Peter B. West" <pbw...@tpg.com.au>
Subject Re: [logging] setLevel in Jkd14Logger
Date Tue, 13 Apr 2004 03:00:11 GMT
Craig,

I read the notes on configuration, but it seems to me that level setting
is not a configuration issues, but a runtime issue.  In my brief
experience of 1.4 logging, I found that I could not set the level on a
Logger higher than the initial level at creation, but that I could
dynamically alter the level to anywhere up to that boundary.  (Don't
quote me on that - I couldn't find such specific details in the
documentation.)  Setting the initial and boundary level is a
configuration issue, but what about later modification?

The capacity to dynamically alter the logging level on a given logger
seems invaluable to me, especially in a server environment.  It is easy
enough to implement a default "do nothing" behaviour for loggers that
don't have dynamic level setting.

I would like to think that the configuration for particular loggers
could be isolated to the constructors, and that all run-time activity
could be amalgamated under the wrapper.