commons-user mailing list archives

From "Giovannini Andrea" <>
Subject NEWBIE FileUpload question
Date Tue, 06 Apr 2004 17:37:06 GMT
I'm using FileUpload to process a file uploaded from Internet Explorer
via Jscript, there's no direct form submit but I use the XMLHTTP object
since I want control over the result. This is my client code

function go() {
    // I skip some details
    var fileName = ...;
    var url = ... + "&fileName=" + fileName;

    var adoStream = new ActiveXObject("ADODB.Stream");
    adoStream.Mode = 3;
    adoStream.Type = 1;
    var xmlhttp = new ActiveXObject("MSXML2.XMLHTTP");"POST", url, false);
    var boundary = "----------This_Is_The_Boundary_\r\n";
boundary=" + boundary);
    xmlhttp.setRequestHeader("Content-Length", adoStream.Size);

Then I want to save the file on the server. In my servlet I have this

String path = ...
DiskFileUpload upload = new DiskFileUpload();

try {
	List items = upload.parseRequest(request);
	Iterator iter = items.iterator();
	while (iter.hasNext()) {
		FileItem item = (FileItem);
		if (!item.isFormField()) {
			fileName = item.getName();
			File uploadedFile = new File(fileName);
} catch(Exception e) {

But the parseRequest() returns an empty list. I've debugged the
FileUpload code and the problem is that in the discardBodyData() of the
class MultipartStream a MalformedStreamException("Stream ended
unexpectedly") is thrown and parseRequest() returns an empty collection.
So I wonder what's wrong with my uploading... Any idea?

Thanks in advance,

Andrea Giovannini
Java Software Architect

Gruppo Formula S.p.A.