commons-user mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [betwixt] is latest code in trunk?
Date Tue, 13 Apr 2004 07:55:59 GMT
hi simon

the stuff in the sandbox is very old.

the branch contains refactoring work, a rewriting of the way that the
reading works (plus some other simplifications). one of the problems
with the original betwixt code was that it was complex and monolithic.
i've been trying to break it up so that it's easier to understand and
easier to add variations in behaviour.

the refactoring is (i think) nearly finish. what i need to do now is to
go through and remove duplicate and redundant methods (artifacts of the
refactoring), simplify over-complex code, re-assess the new interfaces
to make sure that they are right and document.

development of new features has continued on the main branch.

so, i'm not sure how best to answer your question.

if you're looking for good ideas then there quite a gap between any of
the current implementation and how i think betwixt needs to work.

if you're thinking about getting a bit more involve with betwixt then
it'd probably be best for me to explain the general plan and then point
out where the latest bits of code are to be found. (betwixt needs some
developer documentation.)

this is probably a better time (for anyone who fancies it) to get
involved with betwixt than it's been for a long while. the new
refactored code seems to be easier for new developers to understand and
safely patch than the old, i think. (brian's certainly submitted a
number of good ones recently, thanks for that.) i hope sometime soon to
merge the new branch with the old and more eyes would be greatly
appreciated. i want to catch as much as possible to ensure good
backwards compatibility in the future. i've also been working with
jochen on adding support for betwixt-start-from-java to jaxme, a JAXB
implementation. if there are enough volunteers, i'm pretty confident
that big performance improvements (which is one area of weakness) could
be made relatively easier.

- robert