commons-user mailing list archives

From "Bill Simpson" <wsimp...@syntricity.com>
Subject RE: Large File Upload with fileupload 1.0 {Scanned}
Date Wed, 31 Mar 2004 19:16:58 GMT
I don't know if it is timeouts or not.  The stream ended unexpectedly
exception leads to believe that it isn't.  In addition, literally adding one
more byte to the file size causes this to fail.  I've set the timeout time
to be ridiculously high and it doesn't make a difference.  The addition of
one byte changes the amount of time from 2 minutes to the length of the
timeout.  :/

I do like your idea of changing the timeout on the fly.  I will give that a
shot to fix some other issues I see with fileuploads as I, like you, don't
want to have to set my timeout arbitrarily high just to accommodate a few
large uploads.

Thanks,

Bill

-----Original Message-----
From: Cindy Ballreich [mailto:cindy@ballreich.net]
Sent: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 10:39 AM
To: Jakarta Commons Users List
Subject: Re: Large File Upload with fileupload 1.0 {Scanned}

It sounds like your server is timing out and killing the session, but I'm
not sure why it would be different on the Solaris system.

I did some experiments with various large files. I first set my session
timeout to 600 minutes. I then tested to see how long it took to upload the
files from various bandwidth connections. Once I had some stats, I added
some code that checks the size of the request and adjusts the timout based
on the size. This allows me to keep a reasonable timeout for users that
aren't uploading, while giving those who are enough time to do the upload.
It seems to work reasonably well, but I still occasionally see uploads that
fail.

I hope this is helpful

Cindy