commons-user mailing list archives

From "Bill Simpson" <>
Subject Large File Upload with fileupload 1.0 {Scanned}
Date Wed, 31 Mar 2004 00:02:59 GMT
Hello All,

I read through the archives for this issue but did not find any answers that
really solved my problem. I also thought I might be able to shed a little
more light on the problem.

I am seeing issues when I upload large files, where large is an arbitrary
size, but let's say it's greater than 10MB.  Does not matter if the data is
binary or otherwise.  The upload request never comes back until the request
times out.  A log entry is emitted with the following exception:

org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileUploadException: Processing of
multipart/form-data request failed.  Connection reset

I see the above when I'm patient enough to let it timeout.  I've also seen:

org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileUploadException: Processing of
multipart/form-data request failed.  Stream ended unexpectedly

I'm using commons-fileupload-1.0.jar in a servlet inside Tomcat 5.0.19 on
Solaris.  My client is IE 6 on Windows 2K Professional.  When I upload a
small file, it works fine, but as soon as I reach what I call the "large"
realm, it fails as above.

When I change the server configuration to a Windows environment and keep
everything else the same, it works fine.

When I use the Solaris version and Mozilla on Windows, it works fine.

This problem only seems to exist with the specific case of IE against

I hope I've shed a little more light on this problem.  I don't think it's a
data size issue, as I also happen to have a CGI component that does file
uploads (which I'm trying to replace with commons-fileupload), and it works
(albeit horribly slowly/memory inefficiently).

I appreciate any feedback on this, as I'm trying to ship a release of our
software next week.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message