commons-user mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: native memory leak on every call to File.deleteOnExit()
Date Thu, 04 Mar 2004 02:18:06 GMT
>>> Is any one on this list aware that every call to File.deleteOnExit()
>>> leaks memory in the native heap?
>> I am.  Code intended for server use should be audited to remove that
>> call.

> I wasn't aware that there were any expectations in this area.  Can
> you explain further?

See the bug parade.  I suspect I know whose quotes are there explaining the
problem.

> Is there other calls that need to be "removed" for server use?

Of this nature?  Not that comes to mind off-hand.

>> If someone wants to create an alternative using phantom
>> references, that would be fine, and generally useful.

> I know what phantom references are in theory but I've not yet used them
> personally.  Can you give me any further information on how this might
> be done?

See: http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-01-2002/jw-0104-java101.html for
an intro to PhantomeReferences.

If no one gets to this, I might hack a TemporaryFile class, but I've got
higher priority items on my plate at the moment.

	--- Noel