commons-user mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [beanutils] java.util.Date converter
Date Sat, 06 Mar 2004 22:09:21 GMT
On 5 Mar 2004, at 19:06, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> Quoting Flavio Tordini <flaviotordini@tin.it>:
>
>> hi craig,
>> thank you for your answer. i think the date formats to use are those
>> in
>>   ISO 8601.
>>
>> see: http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-datetime
>>
>> maybe the converter could be added to the beanutils codebase but not
>> used by default by ConvertUtils. what do you think?
>>

> That is one of at least twenty different formats for dates and times
> that people
> like to use (and would be pretty user-unfriendly in a locale that likes
> dd/mm/yyyy formatted dates).  It doesn't seem reasonable to pick just
> one, so
> I'd prefer to let applications that want to use a particular format to
> register
> their own.

i probably support adding an ISO 8601 compatible convertor to
beanutils. ISO 8601 is not only a standard but also one which is
commonly used. (i'd thought about creating one before but i became
concerned about copyright usage and trademark issues.) adding a
convertor based on that w3c NOTE seems very reasonable to me. in
addition, the basic date related datatypes used in (w3c flavoured) xml
schema is also based on ISO8601 and are similar to those in the NOTE so
it would be useful for processing xml documents.

if the worry is that adding this would establish an unhelpful
precedent, then maybe we could add it as an optional class.

- robert