commons-user mailing list archives

From "Amir Nashat" <anas...@cj.com>
Subject BeanUtils SqlConversion
Date Mon, 08 Mar 2004 21:57:04 GMT

Hello,

I am aware that there is a switch to allow for a default value but if
you use the BeanUtils component this switch is not available to set. I
am wondering if there is any way to:

1) Specify a default value and use that value

2) If not the first option then to ignore the conversion all together
and move on with the next conversion

I am curious as to whether or not the BeanUtils component has created a
bug in its implementation or missed this fact?

Anybody out there have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Amir

>hi

>i think that the idea is that if you don't want a conversion exception

>to be thrown, you should specify a default.

>- robert

>> Hello All,

>> I've been having a small problem with the BeanUtils utility. I'm

>> attempting to perform a copy of a java.sql.Date field, which can be

>> null, to a bean. The problem I am getting is that when the field is

>> null

>> I get a ConverstionException. After inspecting the code I found that

>> the

>> SqlConverter class is called and the convert() checks the following :

>> if (value == null) {

>>             if (useDefault) {

>>                 return (defaultValue);

>>             } else {

>>                 throw new ConversionException("No value specified");

>>             }

>>         }

>> I am wondering why the conversion exception is thrown in the first

>> place. Couldn't the check for null return the default value else no

>> value at all and skip that attribute? Also, for anyone out there that

>> has to perform type conversion and copy properties (of which some
date

>> attributes can be null) to a bean what is your implementation? How
are