commons-user mailing list archives

From Surendra.Kash...@gxs.com
Subject RE: Common-io - DeferredOutputStream
Date Fri, 12 Mar 2004 16:22:00 GMT
Thanks Henry!

When you create a valid file handle, it actually does create a file which is
ready to be associted with the "OutputStream" and hence content can be
written.

For example:

//Creating File handle
File tempFile = File.createTempFile("test", ".txt");  //Here the actual file
is created in the file system

//Create DeferredFileOutputStream

DeferredFileOutputStream fos = new DeferredFileOutputStream(2048, tempFile);

//For example I write a byte[] lower than 2048 then content will stay in
memory ( for sake of the example
byte[] tempBytes = new String("TEST").getBytes();
fos.write(tempByte);
fos.flush();
fos.close()

//Now .. let us check if data is in memory
if (fos.isInMemory()) System.out.println("In memory");

//Now since file was created even though not used.. I still have to delete
this
tempFile.delete();

The second part of my question is "I would rather have file creation and
deletion does inside this class" by a method call. It should allow the
consumer to set (by method call) "location" where temp files to be created.

Hope this clearifies my question. Again, this is not a big issue but in
production systems temp file creation and deletion are crucial.

Thanks so much for your time!