commons-user mailing list archives

From David Graham <grahamdavid1...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: [Validator] Using Struts validators outside of Struts
Date Tue, 23 Mar 2004 14:21:12 GMT

--- Eric.Lewis@swissinfo.ch wrote:
> No, I'm using them outside of a webapp.

Then you should definitely be writing your own validation methods and not
using Struts as they're tied to the Servlet environment.

> Right now, I'm wading through the Struts FieldChecks and trying to
> simplify
> them.
> Perhaps it would be easier to create my own FieldChecks... however, I
> don't
> know how I can access the value of "msg" in a validator tag within
> validator-rules.xml.
> Do you know any example that uses it? If possible with configurable
> messages
> with {0}, {1} etc.

I don't know of any examples of that use case but there is a standalone
(ie. non-webapp) example in cvs.  Validator doesn't handle messages
itself; it simply returns the lookup key and replacement args for you to
resolve in your messages.properties file (or however you're doing
messaging).

David

> Eric

org.apache.struts.validator.Resources.getMessageResources(Resources.java:150