commons-user mailing list archives

From David Graham <grahamdavid1...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [mapper] Any implementations yet
Date Sat, 13 Mar 2004 17:05:49 GMT

--- "John E. Conlon" <jconlon@verticon.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-03-12 at 15:50, David Graham wrote:
> > --- "John E. Conlon" <jconlon@verticon.com> wrote:
> > > implementations

> myself,
> > > but I

> one
> > > Ah I think I see said the blind man.

> > > The purpose of Mapper is similar to Commons Logging. It isn't a
> mapping
> > > technology itself, it merely exposes common functionality of other
> > > mapping APIs.
> > >
> > > I was expecting there may be mapper wrappers for some of the
> persistent
> > > technologies out there...
> >
> > Mapper used to contain JDBC helper code but that was removed when
> DbUtils
> > was released.
>
> I was debating the merits of DbUtils vs Commons SQL and chose to
> continue to work with the SQL. (But I would reconsider if I saw more
> community momentum). Are there any examples of DbUtils and mapper
> integration?

DbUtils and SQL have different goals.  SQL is still in the sandbox while
DbUtils has made an official 1.0 release and is working towards 1.1.

My projects use both Mapper and DbUtils for persistence.  I've recently
started using Hibernate as well so I'm considering some changes to Mapper.
 Mapper literally saved one project when the database design changed at
the last minute.  All I had to do was change the Mapper implementation
classes and the rest of the system remained unchanged :-).

David