commons-user mailing list archives

From David Graham <grahamdavid1...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [mapper] Any implementations yet
Date Fri, 12 Mar 2004 21:50:54 GMT

--- "John E. Conlon" <jconlon@verticon.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-03-12 at 11:04, David Graham wrote:
> > --- "John E. Conlon" <jconlon@verticon.com> wrote:
> > > Mapper looks like a nice solution to debundle mapping
> implementations
> > > but are there any implementations using Mapper right now.
> > >
> > > I would like to use this even if I have to write wrappers myself,
> but I
> > > don't want to re-invent the wheel.
> >
> > Each implementation of the Mapper interface will typically persist one
> > kind of business object.
> Ah I think I see said the blind man.
>
> > Obviously this is specific to your app. so I
> > don't know what you mean by your question.
> >

> >From the introduction:
>
> The purpose of Mapper is similar to Commons Logging. It isn't a mapping
> technology itself, it merely exposes common functionality of other
> mapping APIs.
>
> I was expecting there may be mapper wrappers for some of the persistent
> technologies out there...

Mapper used to contain JDBC helper code but that was removed when DbUtils
was released.

> What else do you have planned for the Mapper project besides
> documentation?

Much of the most useful code has migrated to other projects (ie. DbUtils)
and what remains is a small layer above mapping technologies.  I've been
considering changes to the Mapper interface and exception handling but
Mapper needs a bigger community before it can be released to commons
proper.  Feel free to contribute code/ideas!

David