commons-user mailing list archives

From <phil...@bussche.net>
Subject [dbcp] Monitoring of handed out connections
Date Mon, 08 Mar 2004 09:29:33 GMT
Hi,
to get noticed about the number of connections, which are handed out by the
data source, we extended BasicDataSource. getConnection() was overwritten
so that everytime a connection is released a log file entry is written. At
first we used log4J for Logging, but we had to recognize, that placing our
new jar and a jar for log4j into common/lib under the tomcat tree, results
in an error of another webapp, which was supposed to use its own log4j but
now acts on the one, which is placed in common/lib (<-- this seems to be a
mistake in class loading because it is describe just the other way around
on tomcat homepage).
Anyway, we are looking for a new way to do the monitoring. One solution
could be using a tomcat FileLogger. But the problem will be the classloader
again. Since our data source has to be placed under common/lib, the
FileLogger is part of catalina.jar, which is actually under server/lib, we
won't be able to make an instance from catalina FileLogger in our extended
data source.
So my question is, has anybody ever faced a similiar problem or does
anybody know of a solution to this ?? Monitoring of data sources is a very
important task here at the moment.

Thanks,
Phil.