commons-user mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <>
Subject Re: [Jelly] DTD or Schema
Date Sat, 06 Mar 2004 18:33:16 GMT
Quoting robert burrell donkin <>:

> On 6 Mar 2004, at 14:53, Paul Libbrecht wrote:
> > Hi Tobi,
> >
> > I don't think this is existing or even would make a lot of sense...
> > but I agree "some kind of validation" would be nice.
> hmmm...
> i wonder whether it might be possible automagically generate this kind
> of information...

Unfortunately, it's probably not technically feasible ... certainly not for a
DTD, and probably not for a schema (I'm not an expert).

The core issue is that the set of valid elements and attributes in a namespace
is open ended, because you can dynamically add new tags (i.e. new elements),
and those tags might recognize different attributes depending on the
implementation class, or when they are nested inside particular other

This is exactly the reason that Tomcat, for example, cannot provide a DTD or
schema for the "server.xml" file.  Although Tomcat doesn't use [jelly] (it uses
[digester] for parsing configuration files), the basic issue is the same.

> - robert

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message