commons-user mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [beanutils] java.util.Date converter
Date Thu, 04 Mar 2004 18:43:53 GMT
Quoting Flavio Tordini <flaviotordini@tin.it>:

> hi all,
> i'm trying to set a bean property of type java.util.Date from a String
> value. From the docs it appears that there's no default Converter to do
> this. I understand I have to write my own Converter, but I'm sure that
> someone else must have faced the problem before me. Can someone please
> post the Converter?
> It would be nice to have this Converter built in the BeanUtils package.
> If I write my own should I post it back to this list?

The reason there isn't a standard Date converter is that the string format of a
date is locale specific (for example, dd/mm/yyyy versus mm/dd/yyyy), and the
basic converter utilities have no notion of locale.

Within commons-beanutils, you could investigate using the locale-sensitive
conversion utilities instead.

> flavio

Craig