commons-user mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <>
Subject RE: [Digester] Parsing XML to a hashtable
Date Tue, 02 Mar 2004 21:19:06 GMT
On Wed, 2004-03-03 at 10:08, Savitsky, Alex wrote:
> Already did five minutes ago, and it works great :)
> One comment I have, though, is that pretty much any parameter-related rule
> needs access to "digester.peekParams()" (PathCallParamRule needs it, too),
> and that method has package visibility. Thus, I had to declare my custom
> rule to be in org.apache.commons.digester package just to access that
> method. I wonder if that access restriction was done on purpose, or if
> developers just forgot to put "protected" access there, because, IMHO,
> "protected" would do better there, allowing to subclass rules without being
> forced to put them in certain package...

That's a good point. We're pushing towards a new Digester release soon,
so will have a think about this fairly soon.

The peek_params method would need to be public, not protected, to allow
user rules to access it - though I guess we could add a protected
peek_params method on CallParamRule which delegates through to the

We do need to be careful about making APIs public, as this then
restricts the possibilities of changing the internal Digester
implementation in future releases. I'm not a great fan of the existing
call-param stack.

Thanks for your suggestion.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: