commons-user mailing list archives

From "Craig Tataryn" <craiger...@hotmail.com>
Subject [DBCP] - Tomcat 5
Date Mon, 23 Feb 2004 15:17:34 GMT
Hi, I developed a webapp using Tomcat 4.1.29 with DBCP.  The client deploy
to Tomcat 5, and have been having connection problems.  We are running
against Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere, and it appears that after the
application has been running for a while we just start getting "connection
refused" inside or outside our application whenever we try to get a
connection to the DB.

I was wondering, I noticed that Tomcat 5.0 ships with the DBCP jar, because
I was developing using 4.1.29, I had to place that jar in my WEB-INF/lib.
Would this cause a problem, is it possible my webapp is using Tomcat's DBCP
instance to handle the connection pool, and thus when I reload my webapp,
the previous instance of the webapp's connecitons are just being zombied?

What is the default number of connections that DBCP will try to secure?  I'm
thinking that perhaps the pool is trying to grab more connections than we
have licenses for.  Although you would think I would get an appropriate
error message coming back which states that the connection limit has been
exceeded.

In a webapp situation, how do you ensure your connection pool is destroyed
when your webapp is recycled or stopped?

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Craig W. Tataryn