commons-user mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [BeanUtils] When will 1.7 be released?
Date Wed, 04 Feb 2004 22:23:50 GMT

On 29 Jan 2004, at 13:25, Allen Servedio wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>
> Thanks for responding (I get this in digest version, so I put your
> reply below)!
>
> Actually, I do not need a full release; but I think that the Struts
> team does.

there is a considerable overlap between the teams. i'd hope that people
would shout if this really were the case :)

> I was using one of the release candidates with the intention of
> upgrading when they released 1.1 (which they did). The release
> candidate used BeanUtils 1.7... BUT, their final 1.1 release uses
> BeanUtils 1.6.1 (which makes sense, as they want to have all of the
> released code synced up). I did not realize this until quite a bit
> later and now I am stuck. I can't go to the released version of Struts
> 1.1 because I am using BeanUtilsBean, ConvertUtilsBean, and
> PropertyUtilsBean (which do not exist in BeanUtils 1.6.1).

i'm not sure that i understand you problem. CVS HEAD should be
backwards compatible with 1.6.1 and so you should be able to drop it in
as a replacement, shouldn't you?

IMHO (and i can only speak for myself) there are two major factors
preventing a new beanutils release.

the first is finding someone on the pmc to volunteer to act as a
release manager. (but this isn't a big problem.)

the second is doing the work required before we can commit to a
release. there's quite a lot of work to do (both in implementation and
design) but a shortage of development energy. i'm very glad to see that
yoav's stepped up. if some more people volunteered to take on some
development, then we'd probably get a lot closer a lot quicker.

personally speaking, beanutils will not be a high priority until
betwixt is much closer a release.

- robert