commons-user mailing list archives

From Irfan Baig <ir...@abstractedge.com>
Subject [FileUpload] handling FileUploadException causes 'document contains no data' message
Date Wed, 04 Feb 2004 19:48:38 GMT
Hi there - I'm on
SunOS unknown 5.8 Generic_108528-07 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10
running this Java: Solaris VM (build Solaris_JDK_1.2.2_07a, native
threads, sunwjit)
and the iPlanet 4.1 webserver.

The FileUpload package works well enough for me, except for one issue -
catching the FileUploadException. Here is a portion of code, placed
within a JSP, to parse the request. If a FileUploadException is thrown,
(e.g. if the file size is too large), I would like the JSP to print a
short message, and the error.

<%
  FileUpload upload = new FileUpload();
  upload.setSizeMax(2000000);
  try{
    List items = upload.parseRequest(request);
  } catch (FileUploadException e){
    out.println("failed: " + e);
  }
out.println("Some random text");
%>

Now, if the exception is not thrown, this works just fine. The output is
'Some random text'. However, when the exception is thrown, the browser
returns a 'Document contains no data'  message (or a  'Page cannot be
displayed'  in IE). I would have thought it would have caught the
exception, and printed the error message (and then the random text at
the bottom). Note that this example has been stripped to the bare
minimum to recreate the issue.  In a larger example I've written,
FileUpload works great except when encountering this issue - e.g. if a
file size exceeds the set limit.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong here?