commons-user mailing list archives

From Dmitri Plotnikov <dmi...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JXPath Performance
Date Thu, 05 Feb 2004 00:38:46 GMT
JXPath is designed to work with heterogeneous models, including
JavaBeans, Maps, Collections etc, as well as DOM, JDOM, etc.  To
accomodate all this variety, JXPath inevitable produces some overhead.
For example it creates a bunch of NodePointer objects during the
evaluation of an XPath.  You wouldn't need such objects if you only
worked with XML (DOM, JDOM).  Thus, JXPath is slower than for instance
Xalan, which manages to allocate almost zero objects.

I am currently working on some behind-the-scenes integration between
JXPath and Xalan.  Once that's complete, JXPath performance will be
similar to that of Xalan, as long as you are working exclusively with
XML.

I hope this helps.

- Dmitri