commons-user mailing list archives

From John Zoetebier <john.zoeteb...@transparent.co.nz>
Subject Re: [Jelly] (Swing) Roadmap?
Date Tue, 06 Jan 2004 03:28:46 GMT
Hi Twan,

I am currently working on a GUI project called TS Client which I will post
on Source Forge within a week or 2.
This GUI project is not based on Jelly, but has some features that may
save some hours coding.

The system is has a MVC pattern with the following features:
- 100% Java using Swing and McKoi as database server
- System can run in server mode and in embedded mode, like for example MS
Access.
- Generic controller handles 90% of all database queries
- Specific controller for join queries
- GenericTableModel is used for all tables
	This saves a lot of manual coding as it can be re-used for all tables.
	Has complete separation of colums shown and data stored in table.
- Forms have Search > Table > Form structure consistently throughout the
system.
	Creating new forms takes a few hours including testing.
- Jakarta DBCP for connection pooling
- Jakarta Db Utils for returning resultset as a collection, like Map or
List.
	This keeps clode clean as SQL code is encapsulated in DB Utils.

With this framework in place creating new forms is fast and easy.
In virtaully all cases you do not need to write SQL statements as this can
be handled by the generic controller.
Even the specific controller can be turned into generic code using meta
data.
However in this case I prefered speed over abstraction.
The project does not use XML to generate the view.
However in how many cases do you want to re-use your GUI view for a web
page.
This looks very unlikely to me as web pages simply have other requirements
than GUI forms.
Just let me know if you are interested and I will post a message when the
project is life at Source Forge.

--
John Zoetebier
Web site: http://www.transparent.co.nz