commons-user mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: Net Component SMTP authentication
Date Fri, 16 Jan 2004 06:59:26 GMT

Googling,

'SMTP AUTH' sounds like 'SMTP authentication'. This link:
http://members.elysium.pl/brush/smtp-auth/ suggests it is part of ESMTP,
and the Commons Net wishlist has 'Add ESMTP commands'.

There's also no AUTH in:

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/net/apidocs/org/apache/commons/net/smtp/SMTPCommand.html

so I reckon Commons Net can't handle SMTP authentication yet.

Looking at the FAQ, someone else has a question of:

"Q: Does the SMTP client support ESMTP functions? Does it support RFC
2821, RFC 2822, RFC 2487 TLS, RFC 2554 authentication, RFC 2920 command
pipelining, RFC 3030 large/binary messages, etc."

so I guess AUTH is RFC 2554.

So [net] guys, any chance of updating the FAQ to answer that one?

There's also an unanswered question about FTPClient.

Hen