commons-user mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [Digester] Anyone done RSS 1.0 and RSS 2.0?
Date Sun, 18 Jan 2004 22:14:33 GMT

On 18 Jan 2004, at 22:00, Simon Kitching wrote:

> On Sat, 2004-01-17 at 23:58, robert burrell donkin wrote:
>> the RSS 0.91 is really just an example but many people find it a very
>> useful one. creating digestions for RSS 1.0 and/or RSS 2.0 isn't
>> really
>> an itch i have but i suspect that if you were to create one and donate
>> it to the ASF then there are probably a lot of folks who'd be
>> grateful...
>
> While on that topic, I would like to move the RSS stuff from the main
> library to the "examples" section before the next Digester release.

i agree in principle but i'm concerned about backwards compatibility. i
suppose an argument might be made that it shouldn't break compatibility
except for people using the RSS code but i'm very committed to
backwards compatibility and so i'd need a lot of persuading. i would
not support moving them if it meant moving up a major version number.

i'd be interested to hear other opinions on this.

> Any objection? And if not, should we bother trying to actually move the
> ",v" files within the cvs repository to preserve file history, or just
> "cvs rm" the old and add the current versions in the new location?

i'd say the usual practice at apache is to leave the history where it
is and think 'if only we were using subversion'...

> I'm not sure if my access rights allow me to do the former myself...

please never change any of the repository files. if you ever need to
(for example, if CVS barfs a lock) the right thing to do is always to
ask infrastructure.

- robert