commons-user mailing list archives

From Eric.Le...@swissinfo.ch
Subject Validator: Using stand-alone validation fails
Date Mon, 12 Jan 2004 18:23:25 GMT
Hi

I'm new to this list, so please forgive any stupid questions  :-))

I'm trying to use the Struts Validator for a stand-alone (non-Struts) class.
I used the ValidatorLoader from "Programming Jakarta Struts" (O'Reilly), and
it works up to a point. When I try to validate an e-mail address which is
correct, my code works. However, when I try to validate an invalid e-mail
address, I get the following Exception:

ERROR   - reflection: null [12 Jan 2004 18:05:05,984] @
org.apache.commons.validator.Validator
	at
)
	at
.java:25)
	at
org.apache.commons.validator.Validator.validateFieldForRule(Validator.java:4
54)
	at
org.apache.commons.validator.Validator.validateField(Validator.java:544)
	at
org.apache.commons.validator.Validator.validate(Validator.java:582)
	at
ch.xobix.validation.model.ValidateBp.processObject(ValidateBp.java:105)
	at
ch.xobix.core.model.BaseWithoutConnectionBp.runBp(BaseWithoutConnectionBp.ja
va:38)
	at
ch.xobix.validation.model.ValidationBpImpl.validate(ValidationBpImpl.java:82
)
	at
ch.xobixtest.validation.model.ValidationBpTest.testValidationFramework(Valid
ationBpTest.java:73)
	at
)
	at
.java:25)
	at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.runTests(RemoteTestRu
nner.java:392)
	at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.run(RemoteTestRunner.
java:276)
	at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.main(RemoteTestRunner
.java:167)
	at
org.apache.struts.validator.Resources.getMessageResources(Resources.java:150
)
	at
org.apache.struts.validator.Resources.getActionError(Resources.java:222)
	at
org.apache.struts.validator.FieldChecks.validateEmail(FieldChecks.java:780)
	... 26 more

My validation.xml file looks like this:

<!DOCTYPE form-validation PUBLIC
          "-//Apache Software Foundation//DTD Commons Validator Rules
Configuration 1.0//EN"
          "http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/dtds/validator_1_0.dtd">

<form-validation>
	<global>
	</global>

	<formset>
		<form name="testForm">
			<field property="emailAddress"
depends="required,email" />
		</form>
	</formset>

</form-validation>

and my validator-rules.xml looks like this (excerpt):

      <validator name="email"
            classname="org.apache.struts.validator.FieldChecks"
               method="validateEmail"
         methodParams="java.lang.Object,
                       org.apache.commons.validator.ValidatorAction,
                       org.apache.commons.validator.Field,
                       org.apache.struts.action.ActionErrors,
                       javax.servlet.http.HttpServletRequest"
              depends=""
                  msg="errors.email">
      </validator>

However, from what I can see, the Resource file for errors.email can't be
found. Is that right?
I have a resource file ApplicationResources.properties which is in a
package. Could this be the problem? Also, how can I specify a certain
Properties file to the Validator?

Any help is very appreciated!

Eric