commons-user mailing list archives

From Tim O'Brien <tobr...@discursive.com>
Subject Re: [Digester] Anyone done RSS 1.0 and RSS 2.0?
Date Sat, 31 Jan 2004 02:59:35 GMT

Craig R. McClanahan wrote:
> Quoting Simon Kitching <simon@ecnetwork.co.nz>:
>

>>On Sat, 2004-01-17 at 23:58, robert burrell donkin wrote:
>>
>>>the RSS 0.91 is really just an example but many people find it a very
>>>useful one. creating digestions for RSS 1.0 and/or RSS 2.0 isn't really
>>>an itch i have but i suspect that if you were to create one and donate
>>>it to the ASF then there are probably a lot of folks who'd be
>>>grateful...
>>
>>While on that topic, I would like to move the RSS stuff from the main
>>library to the "examples" section before the next Digester release.
>>

> Defintiely +1.  But an even stronger +1 on new commons components for "pure data
> beans" that represent the data of common XML document formats like RSS.  For
> RSS itself, such a set of beans (which covered a reasonable attempt at a union
> of all the variant formats, plus a way to plug in arbitrary extension) would be
> *broadly* useful in both client and server applications that manipulate
> RSS-type data, far beyond the particular scenario of parsing XML->beans (which
> is what the Digester example does) and the reverse beans->XML direction (which
> is what an example in Betwixt does).

Craig,

Good idea, but I'd suggest that maybe something like that is a good
candidate for development outside of the ASF.  I think it is a good
idea, but starting a Jakarta Commons project to house "pure data beans"
for commons data formats seems outside of the commons charter - you
start to think about boundaries, how it would scale, etc.

Robert's idea of moving the RSS stuff to an examples distribution is a
good practical first-step.  Maybe over the next few months if someone
steps up to the plate and donates and/or creates other Digester/Betwixt
examples they could be moved into the same example distribution, and
once enough momentum has developed we could create a new commons components.

I like the idea, but I think we should take small steps.  Encourage
people to take initiative, and then see if we need YACC (yet another
commons component) once we've got more than "n" rulesets.

Tim