commons-user mailing list archives

From Serge Knystautas <>
Subject Re: [net] Why use Net for SMTP?
Date Wed, 07 Jan 2004 00:25:23 GMT
Daniel F. Savarese wrote:
>>How is this possible?  JavaMail 1.0 came out in Jan/Feb 1998, Java came
>>out in Feb 1996.  That doesn't leave much room for "several years" of
>>Commons Net predating JavaMail.
> If you're not trolling, you are nitpicking.

No, seeking clarification to what I thought was hyberbole since you were
claiming this code is well more (several years more) than 6 years old.

> Today,
> the FTP functionality is what most people care about, despite its
> ancient design.  JavaMail models a mail system and Commons Net provides
> basic support for common IETF network protcols.  It's like comparing
> apples and oranges.

Alright, my first message rubbed you pretty badly, so hopefully I can
say this with a bit more tact.

There are issues in the Commons Net SMTP API (notably
SMTPClient.sendMessageData() returning a Writer) that made it seem like
green code.  I understand now that between other protocols being of more
interest and the nature of how the code was donated, why this is the case.

Serge Knystautas
Lokitech >>> software . strategy . design >>
p. 301.656.5501

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message