commons-user mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [Digester] Anyone done RSS 1.0 and RSS 2.0?
Date Mon, 19 Jan 2004 22:38:17 GMT
On 18 Jan 2004, at 22:26, Simon Kitching wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-01-19 at 11:14, robert burrell donkin wrote:
>>>
>>> While on that topic, I would like to move the RSS stuff from the main
>>> library to the "examples" section before the next Digester release.
>>
>> i agree in principle but i'm concerned about backwards compatibility.
>> suppose an argument might be made that it shouldn't break
>> compatibility
>> except for people using the RSS code but i'm very committed to
>> backwards compatibility and so i'd need a lot of persuading. i would
>> not support moving them if it meant moving up a major version number.
>>
>> i'd be interested to hear other opinions on this.
>
> If we keep the same package structure for the code, but just put it in
> the examples dir (or a "contrib" or "extensions" dir), then users of
> the
> RSS stuff would just need to build the RSS code as a jar and include
> that extra jar in their classpath.
>
> Would that be regarded as sufficiently backwards-compatible for a minor
> release?

see http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/versioning.html

IMHO removal of classes is an interface change and so would seem to
necessitate a change of major release but there is the argument that
since they are example classes, users shouldn't be relying on their
presence.

IIRC craig authored most of this so hopefully he'll jump in sometime
soon and give us an opinion...

- robert