commons-user mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <si...@ecnetwork.co.nz>
Subject Re: [Digester] Anyone done RSS 1.0 and RSS 2.0?
Date Sun, 18 Jan 2004 22:26:45 GMT
On Mon, 2004-01-19 at 11:14, robert burrell donkin wrote:
> On 18 Jan 2004, at 22:00, Simon Kitching wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 2004-01-17 at 23:58, robert burrell donkin wrote:
> >> the RSS 0.91 is really just an example but many people find it a very
> >> useful one. creating digestions for RSS 1.0 and/or RSS 2.0 isn't
> >> really
> >> an itch i have but i suspect that if you were to create one and donate
> >> it to the ASF then there are probably a lot of folks who'd be
> >> grateful...
> >
> > While on that topic, I would like to move the RSS stuff from the main
> > library to the "examples" section before the next Digester release.
>
> i agree in principle but i'm concerned about backwards compatibility. i
> suppose an argument might be made that it shouldn't break compatibility
> except for people using the RSS code but i'm very committed to
> backwards compatibility and so i'd need a lot of persuading. i would
> not support moving them if it meant moving up a major version number.
>
> i'd be interested to hear other opinions on this.

If we keep the same package structure for the code, but just put it in
the examples dir (or a "contrib" or "extensions" dir), then users of the
RSS stuff would just need to build the RSS code as a jar and include
that extra jar in their classpath.

Would that be regarded as sufficiently backwards-compatible for a minor
release?

> > Any objection? And if not, should we bother trying to actually move the
> > ",v" files within the cvs repository to preserve file history, or just
> > "cvs rm" the old and add the current versions in the new location?
>
> i'd say the usual practice at apache is to leave the history where it
> is and think 'if only we were using subversion'...

Well, Subversion 1.0 is very close now :-)

> please never change any of the repository files. if you ever need to
> (for example, if CVS barfs a lock) the right thing to do is always to
> ask infrastructure.

Fine. I'm just used to *being* the infrastructure person :-)