commons-user mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <si...@ecnetwork.co.nz>
Subject Re: offtopic: regexp or ORO?
Date Sun, 11 Jan 2004 22:31:29 GMT

On Fri, 2004-01-09 at 17:50, Daniel F. Savarese wrote:

> To answer the original question.  If you need Perl (including zero-width
> negative lookahead assertions), AWK, or glob expressions, use ORO.  If
> you need POSIX-like expressions, use Regexp.  If you don't care, then
> establish some other criteria to make the decision, such as whichever
> you feel is easier to use.  Microbenchmarks like the one at
> http://tusker.org/regex/regex_benchmark.html
> are not very useful because the performance of regular expression libraries
> depends heavily on the patterns and input data used (unless the patterns
> and data used are characterstic of what your application will use).

Thanks Daniel (and the others who replied).

I've tried both ORO and Regexp, and gone with Regexp for the moment
because it has the simplest API.

FYI, the java.util.regex package describes its patterns as being "in a
syntax similiar to that used by Perl". However I only use very limited
regex functionality,

Performance is not an issue for me; regex evaluation are not the
bottleneck in this system.

Regards,

Simon