commons-user mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <Joerg.Schai...@Elsag-Solutions.com>
Subject RE: core:forEach collections
Date Wed, 17 Dec 2003 12:04:10 GMT
Paul Libbrecht wrote on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 12:58 AM:

> Jörg,
>
> Can you be more precise on the expectactions for the JSTL
> compatibility ? I can't say this is my favourite goal for jelly...

Extract from the JSTL spec:

========== snip ===========

Collections Supported & Current Item

The data types listed below must be supported for items. With syntax 1, each object
exposed via the var attribute is of the type of the object in the underlying collection,
except for arrays of primitive types and maps (see below).

[snip]

String:

The string represents a list of comma separated values, where the comma
character is the token delimiter. Tokens are processed in their sequential order in
the string.

========== snap ===========

I found it somewhat surprising, that the tag is there but has limited functionality.

> Clearly, the need to j:set is a pain... but there are many many other
> ways around... (remember jelly is flexible!):
> 1.- the forEachToken tag that I described here
> 2.- have a function like "tokenize" within jexl
> 3.- be able to declare functions within jexl (see the proposal of
> Ernesto Reinaldo recently, this seems to be also JSP inspired)
>
> I would favour 1 for best predictability and confort (I think being
> able to state a tokenizer with any whitespace is really missing thus
> far).

In JSTL is a forTokens tag, that is similar.

> I would favour 2. to be quick and compatible with 3. which, to
> my taste, has the power of shortening by 50% half of the jelly
> scripts around.

For me it boils down to the question, what people expect. IMHO the most people currently getting
known to Jelly is because of Maven. They try to solve a problem for a plugin or their project
build and transfer their knowledge of similar functionality they're already familiar with.
So anything that simplifies this transition is IMHO a good thing.

Regards,
Jörg