commons-user mailing list archives

From "Holly, Michael" <mho...@talisentech.com>
Subject Questions on DBCP Config
Date Fri, 12 Dec 2003 16:29:22 GMT
Hi

I'm using JDK 1.4.1_06  on Solaris 9.  My application is run on Tomcat
4.1.24 and makes connections to a MySQL 3.23.53 db and an Oracle 8i DB
via the DBCP 1.0.

I have had excellent performanace using DBCP but on this project I am
hitting a snag.  I use the following configuration for my oracle DB
connection pool.

   <Resource name="jdbc/oracle_abraxxas" auth="Container"
type="javax.sql.DataSource"/>

   <ResourceParams name="jdbc/oracle_abraxxas">
      <parameter>
         <name>factory</name>
      </parameter>
      <parameter>
         <name>driverClassName</name>
         <value>oracle.jdbc.OracleDriver</value>
      </parameter>
      <parameter>
         <name>url</name>
         <value>jdbc:oracle:thin:@(DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = snooker.myco.com)(PORT = 1521)))
(CONNECT_DATA = (SERVER = DEDICATED) (SID = ABRAXXAS)))</value>
      </parameter>
      <parameter>
         <name>username</name>
         <value>abraxxas</value>
      </parameter>
      <parameter>
         <name>password</name>
         <value>#########</value>
      </parameter>
      <parameter>
         <name>maxActive</name>
         <value>20</value>
      </parameter>
      <parameter>
         <name>maxIdle</name>
         <value>10</value>
      </parameter>
      <parameter>
         <name>maxWait</name>
         <value>-1</value>
      </parameter>
      <parameter>
         <name>removeAbandoned</name>
         <value>true</value>
      </parameter>
      <parameter>
         <name>removeAbandonedTimeout</name>
         <value>300</value>
      </parameter>
      <parameter>
         <name>logAbandoned</name>
         <value>true</value>
      </parameter>
      <parameter>
         <name>validationQuery</name>
         <value>select 'validationQuery' from dual</value>
      </parameter>
      <parameter>
        <name>testOnBorrow</name>
        <value>true</value>
      </parameter>
   </ResourceParams>

My problem is that there is a firewall between the DB and my tomcat
server.  On the production system firewall connections have 60 min TTL.
Right now when I come in the morning and run the page that performs the
query to the Oracle DB it hangs. Eventually, the page times out.

My questions are:
1. Can I utilize a 'testOnBorrow' parameter and a 'testWhileIdle'
parameter at the same time?
2. Will utitlizing the 'testWhileIdle' and a
'timeBetweenEvictionRunsMillis' = 600000 (10min) and a
'minEvictableIdleTimeMillis' = 1800000 (30 min) solve my problem?
3. Could I set the 'MaxIdle' parameter down to 0 so that all connections
are eventually dropped from inactivity?

I do not have the same network configuration in my Test otherwise I
would just test it there.

Thanks for the help

Michael