commons-user mailing list archives

From __matthewHawthorne <>
Subject Re: [JXPath] Performance
Date Mon, 08 Dec 2003 02:37:51 GMT
I would imagine that #2 would perform better.

I've used JXPath with much success, however I've never really done any
performance metrics.  I would imagine that underneath, it's using
reflection to navigate through the object heirarchy.

This seems destined to be slower than executing Xpath queries against a
static XML stream.

The nice thing about JXPath is that the interface stays the same,
whether you're querying an XML file or a Java object tree underneath.
This could allow you to switch your strategy if you notice any
performance problems. wrote:
> Since I did not get any answers, I am wondering if I am missing something
> and if my question make sense.
> What I am trying to understand if that if I have two implementation choices:
> 1) JXPath on top of Java objects
> Or
> 2) Java objects -> XML serialized -> Xpath with something like Xalan
> What will be faster/better? I am sure that it will depend on the complexity
> of the Java object/XML tree as well as the kind of Xpath queries, but I am
> wondering if anyone did any kind of performance testing in this area.
> Thanks.
> Thomas

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: