commons-user mailing list archives

From Swaminathan Gurumoorthy <swamiolym...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: DBCP Pool - Releasing connections
Date Tue, 02 Dec 2003 17:40:47 GMT
Can I use 'testOnBorrow' to validate the connection. The documentaion says it is 'true' by
default. Will this parameter work only with 'validationQuery '?

I wish DBCP has a 'releaseStale' parameter similar to the 'removeAbandoned' . This may eliminate
the overhead on 'testOnBorrow'.

TIA
Swami

Larry Young <lyoung@dalmatian.com> wrote:
Swami,

When I detect a problem like this in my code, I call "close()" on
the datasource, which in my case is a BasicDataSource. This blows away all
currently held connections in the pool. If you're in a multi-threaded
world like in a web app, you might want to be a bit careful of how you do
this to avoid any race conditions, although if one connection is dead, more
than likely they all will be.

Another thing that I do is I have an agreement with our AS400 DB
folks that when they are going down, they send me a message so I can handle
this type of behavior a bit more gracefully.

--- regards ---
Larry