commons-user mailing list archives

From Swaminathan Gurumoorthy <swamiolym...@yahoo.com>
Subject DBCP Pool - Releasing connections
Date Tue, 02 Dec 2003 17:07:48 GMT
I need some help on how to refresh DB connection using DBCP. We have a web application built
on Struts running on Tomcat 4.1.18 and talking to a AS400 database.  We use commons DBCP for
datasoures.

Our database goes down every morning at 5 AM for maintenanace because of which  Tomcat/DBCP
loses its connection. When I come in the morning and try to access the app ,I usually get
a connection exception because datasource.getConnection() craps out. I usually restart Tomcat
to refresh all connections ( the project is still under development and hence I get away with
it).

Is there a parameter setting by which I can ask DBCP to see if the connection is stale (like
in the case of a DB shutdown) and if so release all connections or even better try 'n' times
to refresh  before releasing them?

Intuitively I thought the 'minIdle=0' wud do the trick but it is set to zero by default anyway.
Will setting removeAbandoned to true help my cause?

TIA.
Swami